Wednesday, June 2, 2010

::Ancestry.In.Progress::R.I.P. Gary Coleman::



02.08.1968-05.28.2010

Your legacy has left an indelible impression on the world-at-large.
Thank you for the precious gifts you bore.
May your journey be peaceful and radiant.


Note: When I chose Gary as the mascot for my blog, it was largely due to the good cheer he inspired in me as a child. It was also partially attributed to the fact that Gary's lovable character Arnold Jackson was the first television character that I, as a young Black kid, could identify with on many levels. At the juncture of Gary Coleman and Arnold Jackson, I saw the possibility of transcending my own socioeconomic circumstances and actualizing my potential. Whether rushing to the television upon hearing the first line of the theme song or doubled over in laughter at Gary's antics, Diff'rent Strokes was one of my many weekly highlights for several years. When I started this blog, it never occurred to me that he would be departing this world so soon. But I am certain that his spirit is at infinite peace in a realm where the pain, ridicule, neglect and transgressions he incurred are distant, incidental memories. Thank you, Gary Coleman, for giving a little Black boy like me an inkling of an idea of what it means to be young, gifted, and Black. Ashe.


(embedded YouTube video)

No comments: