Wednesday, June 16, 2010

::Diggin' The Scene::


(embedded YouTube video)

I can't tell you how many times this clip has brightened my day. With all the not-quite-right Jheri curls and JC Penny rayon outfits on set, I'm sure the fire marshall would have been all too happy to shut this mutha-sucka down. Wedged somewhere between Soul Train and James Brown's Future Shock was The Scene: a Detroit TV dance party that ran from 1975 to 1987 on Detroit network affiliate stations. So far, I've only seen excerpts from a few of the 80s episodes. I'm guessing that the earlier episodes weren't taped (as was the case with Soul Train's earlier episodes). But at least we have some documentation of this locally influential dance show, in all its awkward glory. A bit awkward even for Andre Cymone:


(embedded YouTube video)

But to be honest, The Scene is the jawn. I mean, seriously: where else can you go and boogie down a bootleg Soul Train line with an unplugged electric guitar as a prop? Exactly!! Get up on The Scene here and here.

No comments: