Saturday, August 7, 2010

By Design: Mags I Like.

So I'm on a new kick. Not sure if this one is here to stay or if it's a fleeting fancy, but I'll entertain it nonetheless. Sometimes I feel like Beneatha from Hansberry's A Raisin In The Sun, toggling back and forth between a myriad of hobbies and creative interests. Jack of all trades, master of none. But then I stand back and look at the bigger picture: there's definitely a method to my madness. The master definitely has a plan.

As of late, the world of graphic art has had a strong gravitational pull on me. I think it was precipitated by my frustration in the search for a graphic designer for a project I'm currently working on (stay tuned). But mostly, I think it has to do with the fact that I'm a creative spirit in general. Also, the evolution of typefaces, fonts, and art in advertising and marketing has always intrigued me. So to feed my jones, I've hunkered down in my local Barnes & Noble (while they're still around) and thumbed through some rags. Three of them in particular have piqued my interest and will be on my ones to watch for list.

For the most part, the content of American magazines has been on the decline for the past decade. Utterly craptastic. Though I write for several publications, I'm rarely moved to venture to a newsstand to pick up current issues solely on the principle of thumbing through and keeping abreast. Very few are able to hold my interest for more than an issue or two (props to Surface and Adbusters). Most are geared towards prescribing you a new personality, making you feel insecure about your "lack" of possessions, and giving you beauty "tips." But my jaded indifference may change with the following three. Two of them are centered on the love for the discipline of graphic art in some form. The other is a theme based mag, which seems to be a burgeoning trend for mags trying to stay afloat in an inhospitable climate for print media. Check my selection:


Eye: The International Review of Graphic Design




T-World: The Journal Of T-Shirt Culture



Theme Magazine (pictured: Spring 2007 issue)

No comments: