Tuesday, November 25, 2008

:The Stop Making Sense Files ::


Assailant: Lil' Wayne
Crime: lazy lyricism and bad metaphors

"To you 4-eva, from me to you.
I heard somebody say church, I'ma need a suit.
I'ma need a coupe, I won't need a roof.
Flyer than Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.
I got the floor, I'm tryna see the roof.
Didn't wear a bulletproof so I got shot, and you can see the proof.
Blind eyes can look at me and see the truth.
Wonder if Stevie do.
But I'm a leave it to God and not Beaver, neither you.
'Cause I'ma murder "Y", kill "O" , and even "U."
Man, I got summer hating on me, 'cause I'm hotter than the sun.
Spring hatin' on me, 'cause I ain't neva sprung.
Winter hatin' on me, 'cause I'm colder than ya'll.
And I will neva I will neva I will neva fall.
I'm being hated by the season
So fuck ya'll who hatin' for no reason.
"


-"Mr. Carter" featuring Jay-Z
from the album The Carter III (2008)




Verdict:
I'm sayin'.
Really?!
Really, fam?!
How can you just get away with being such a mediocre lyricist...and be rewarded for it in the process!!
To date, The Carter III has sold about 2.6 million copies, which is damn good numbers for this era of music consumption.
But that doesn't discount the fact that this doubles as bad art and exemplifies the dumbing down of a culture.
The Beetle Juice line takes the cake, though.
There's no imagery or lyrical ingenuity here.
In all honesty, I can't see how anybody could read the above and still consider Weezy the tightest rapper in the game.
It's like McDonald's value menu rap: cheap and greasy with no nutritional value

No comments: