Tuesday, September 30, 2008

::Buraka Som Sistema @ Santos Party House::October 2nd::


If you ain't up on Buraka Som Sistema, you need to be. Period. They're a Portuguese trio rocking a wicked style of kuduro, an Angolan-based dance genre in the same family tree as Miami bass, Baltimore club, ghetto tech, and baile funk. I've been following them since their From Buraka To The World EP dropped two years ago. I remember hearing their joints when I was at the baile funk parties in Rio. All their joints are in Portuguese, so Angolans and Brazilians eat that shit up. It's real dope party music though.

I love this joint they did with M.I.A.:


The kuduro dance techniques are similar to breakdancing and the Haitian dance style of kompa:


Man...my folks of the African diaspora get LOOSE!!! Guess it's in the DNA ;-)

I always stay tuned to their Myspace page to check on their tour status, but they never listed any stateside dates. Until now!! They're coming here on the 2nd of October and then flying to Cali to do the LA Weekly Detour Festival on the 4th. All my folks who know what's good need to be at Santos Party House this Thursday.




Their debut full-length Black Diamond was supposed to come out this past summer on Modular Records, but it's damn near October and still no sign of new choonz (sigh). At any rate, I'll be there on Thursday.

$12 in adv.
$14 at the door.

No comments: